Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I Miss Abbie Hoffman

"The police are not here to create disorder. The police are here to preserve disorder."
Chicago Mayor Richard Daley


I heard Fresh Air today. Terry Gross was interviewing Brett Morgen about his film "Chicago 10"*. The animated movie tells the story of the trial of Abbie and 6 others for conspiracy and inciting to riot during the 1968 Democratic convention in Chicago. Mayor Daley's statement about the riots is cited above.

I stole Abbie's book "Steal This Book" from my brother who, I'm sure, stole it from someone. Someone later stole the book from me, so it all evened out.

No one could mix it up quite like Abbie. And here we are again -- another stupid war, another stupid president. I think we are due for another character like Abbie.


*#8 was Bobby Seale, whose trial was separated from the others. He was bound and gagged during his trial. No shit.
#9 & #10 are the lawyers that defended them.

No comments: