Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Rain, Rain, Go Away

It has been raining for a few days now. It's getting tiresome. And depressing. I went searching for a photo that I know would have expressed the mood perfectly.

I may have even shuffled past it, I was having so much fun tripping down memory lane. The photo I was looking for is this: a little girl looking out the rain streaked window. The trees in the yard are blurred by the rivulets of rain running down the window. The little girl is back-lit by the dim natural light. It is an awesome pic. It says "Rain, rain, go away so I can go outside and play" or whatever the hell we used to say when we were kids.

I did not see that photo but I came across so many jewels I did not know whether to sit, spin or make a necklace. I scanned some and will present one now, circa 1987. We might call it Minature Housewife.



Little H is "reading" In the Land of Dreamy Dreams by Ellen Gilchrist. Good stuff. The poor thing is trussed up in pink foam rollers, an attempt to girlify a tiny person who gave not one whit about her appearance.


There is a cup of coffe by her side. It is not hers, of course, but I wanted the illusion to be there. I did resist shooting her with a lit cigarette tucked between her tiny fingers. It would have made a MUCH better picture, though.

5 comments:

H said...

Well if that just isn't the most adorable photo ever taken, I don't know what is. Can you give it a URL so that I can use it as my profile picture?

goblinbox said...

Oh my GHOD how I hated being tortured with rollers when I was little! My mom used the hard, pink kind, not the foam ones, and would make me sleep in them.

pj said...

I, too, was tortured with those hard rollers. And permanents. I chose to pass the hair torture to my daughter, but spared her the hard rollers.

We had a friend in the state legislature and little H wanted him to draft a bill making it illegal for mothers to perm their daughters hair.

H said...

I think I should hold a grudge against Jim for not drafting such a bill. You used to tie me down to the kitchen counter to perm my hair against my will.

pj said...

I never once tied you down. But if you ever wonder where some of your scars came from.....