Sunday, August 17, 2008

Lovely Veggies

It was sweet corn time this week and I went to my folks to get some corn to freeze. It was not a great year for corn with the sporadic rains not arriving at the best time. Still, I got plenty of corn to freeze.

Every year when I get corn my mom recalls my dad's mom at corn freezing time. Grandma would work away at shucking, silking, cutting and freezing corn and say, "What lovely corn!"

Before I left Mom asked if I wanted green beans. I told her I'd picked some up the day before at the farmer's market in Jeremy Freese's home town. She asked how the beans were and I said, "lovely".

farmer's market beans


"As lovely as these?" Mom asked as she showed me a 5 gallon bucket of huge green beans.

Mom's beans


So compare:

compare beans


I took some of Mom's beans and the day after I froze corn, I froze beans. Mom also cut a tomato off the vine for me to take home:

big assed tomato


I tipped the scales some holding the measuring tape. The tomato weighed just under 3 pounds. But it really was 18 ⅝ inches around.

One of these days I need to make a trip out to my own tomatoes and do something with them. I love the abundance of fresh vegetables. I get tired quickly of putting food by.

8 comments:

Hannita said...

I'm rather envious over the produce. That tomato is ginormous. It was probably tasty as well.

pj said...

The tomato was quite tasty, thank you. It's a German tomato. Very meaty and very sweet.

The beans were great, too. They look like over-grown-going-to-seed beans but were are just huge.

Gwen said...

Holy crap! That tomato is insane!

pj said...

Sorry, Gwen. I hope you don't have nightmares about it. I know how you feel about tomatoes.

pj said...

Ha ha. I see that are am bad with my self editing in my comments. (See comment about beans)

Captain Crab said...

Lyle really liked the tomatoe* picture!

*I still like e at the end of tomatoe

pj said...

Oh, you must have taken spelling with Dan Quayle, Mr. Potatoe.

Gwen said...

Actually, "tomatoes" is the generally-accepted spelling of the plural form, for whatever reason, so you're all good :)